Huawei which was originally involved in the world of mobile manufacturing has now begun to penetrate into the PC world. Kunpeng 920 ARM v8 is the first PC motherboard from Huawei which reportedly will appear on the PC market and ready to compete with competitors, such as MSI, Asus, and so on.
Huawei claims to have been developing Kunpeng since 2012, then and continues to perfect the motherboard. Kunpeng comes with a 4 core and 8 core processor. Later Huawei also plans to launch a more powerful 64-core version for the server segment
The CPU on the motherboard is rumored to have been equipped with 7 nanometer (nm) node technology and has PCie 4.0 support on DDR4 RAM with speeds of up to 2400 MHz. Kunpeng motherboards come in two types, namely Kunpeng Desktop Board D920S10 for PCs and Huawei’s S920X00 which is a special motherboard for servers.
Kunpeng Desktop Board D920S10
This type of D920S10 motherboard is specifically designed for use on PC devices. D920S10 itself has been equipped with 2 M.2 SSD slots and has supported PCIe 3.0 and SATA 3.0. This brand-new motherboard performance is claimed to be powerful because it already supports 64 GB of DDR4 RAM powered with ECC memory.
The speed on the ethernet port reaches 25 GBps, making this motherboard has superfast performance. DS920S10 is also equipped with four USB 3.0 and four USB 2.0. For more details, here are the full specifications of the Kunpeng D920S10 series motherboards.
- Board Model D920S10
- Processor 1 Kunpeng 920 processor with 4/8 cores & 2.6 GHz
- Storage Media 6 SATA 3.0 hard drive interfaces, 2 M.2 SSD slots
- Memory 4 DDR4-2400 UDIMM slots, maximum capacity of 64 GB
- PCIe expansion 1 PCIe 3.0 x16, 1 PCIe 3.0 x4, and 1 PCIe 3.0 x1 slots
- LOM Network Support 2 LOM NIC, supporting GE network ports or optical ports
- Management Module 4 USB 3.0 and 4 USB 2.0
Kunpeng S920X00 version is designed specifically for servers. This motherboard has been equipped with 16 storage devices including SATA, NVMe and SAS. The S920X00 supports memory of up to 32 DIMMs on 8 channels and can be expanded on many PCIe.
The CPU on the S920X00 has a TDP of up to 180W, which is devoted to bearing high workloads. For more details, here is the full specification of the motherboard Kunpeng S920X00 series.
- Board Model S920X00
- Processor 2 Kunpeng 920 processor
- Storage Media Up to 16 x 3.5 “SAS / SATA HDDs or SSDs, or 16 x 2.5” NVMe SSDs
- Memory Up to 32 DDR4-2933 DIMMs
- PCIe expansion 8 PCIe 4.0 x8 or 3 PCIe 4.0 x16 + 2 PCIe 4.0 x8
- LOM Network Support 2 LOM NICs. Supporting GE / 10GE / 25GE
- Management Module 1 Hi1710 intelligent management chip
Huawei also claims that this motherboard can run on a Linux operating system. Unfortunately until now, there has been no official statement from Huawei regarding the availability of both motherboards on the market.
Apart from that, these two brand-new motherboards have great potential to be able to compete thanks to the 7 nanometer technology and TaiShan v110 microarchitecture, which are embedded in both of these devices.